I have had my first foray into making socks using the pattern for Shell Socks featured in the September Issue of Inside Crochet. (I would put a link but they don’t have a great presence online which is a shame.)
The pattern was quite straight forward and the large size seemed big enough to cover even my dirty great plates. For my first attempt I used the lovely Noro wool I had bought a few weeks ago. There were far more colours in the skein than I realised so they are bit of a rainbow extravaganza.
Feeling flushed with success I went back for more sock wool and found this lovely Regia wool in my local yarn shop.
I have made the second pair for my Mum. Thankfully her feet are much smaller than mine as, even moving up a hook size, this yarn made a slightly tighter and smaller foot. If I use this wool again, it is something I will have to bear in mind.
The cold weather can do its worst now as me and mine are sorted for bed socks.
***Up-date*** It transpires that the heel on the second pair was too tight so I had to unravel and restitch them. It’s not a long job but I am suprised at how wildly different a guage I got with the Regia wool.