I was shocked when I finally sat down to blog this morning and saw my last post was in April. I am a very poor blogger!
Once again I have been busy knitting but I have been slightly disappointed in the final results and therefore less inclined to swank over what I have created. I think this is mainly due to my lack of experience in knitting. That, and the fact I am far slower at knitting than I am at crocheting, all adds up to a lack of posts.
Anyhow, here follows the fruits of my labours:
but the yarn is a rick-rack. (There is probably a technical term for that but I have no idea what it is.) It seem to lie flat but as soon as the fabric is slightly stretched the knitting becomes very gappy where the rick-rack has left loose stitches. It is particularly noticeable on the bust. This was frustrating as the top fits me but it still manages to look like I have squeezed myself into it. I am tempted to have another go in the future with a better yarn.
Next up was a little shoulder shawl. I found the pattern on Ravelry but cannot find the link to it now for the life of me. I used some lovely green sock yarn I got in my local wool emporium. I didn’t really need another scarf but it was a great traveling project.
While I was working on the shawl I was also in the middle of the most complicated knitting pattern I have tried to date. This was also another Ravelry find. I used Patons Smoothie which is a cheaper acrylic yarn as I wasn’t sure the pattern wouldn’t be beyond me. It took me a couple of months to complete – including some serious frogging at times. All in all, it came out well:
My gauge was correct but I have since discovered that ladies were obviously far less well developed in the 1950s. I ended up omitting the buttons up the band when it became clear that there was no hope of the two sides ever meeting across the expanse of my busty substances. It makes a lovely shrug without the buttons but I really have to work harder on taking my chest measurements into account!
Taking these lessons on board, I have started work on a little waistcoat which features on the front page of the July issue of Let’s Knit. This time I have gone up a size in the hope that I will create something that really fits me. The pattern involves knitting in two colours which is a new experience for me but I seem to managing it so far. I will endeavour to post the completed results in a few weeks (but don’t hold your breath.)
Next week I begin a new job which involves some commuting. I was thinking of portable projects when I felt granny square madness settle into my soul. It seems I am starting another granny square blanket then…