This post is a bit of a moan on my part. I do apologise in advance.
As winter approaches and I finished my scarf, I had the urge to try making some kind of headgear. As I’ve said before, I cannot crochet hats. I don’t know why. There is some disconnect between my brain and my hands which means the things I produce just don’t fit and/or look hideous. Some eternally optimistic part of me, however, seems to think that if I practise enough I can overcome this problem so I have spent the last couple of weeks hunting for a pattern to tempt me into trying again.
My first attempt was the Any Gauge Beret pattern in the most recent issue of Inside Crochet. The final result was an abomination which I frogged before anyone could see it. I am sure the pattern is fine and the problem lies with me but, honestly, it was a floppy, misshapen mess and a waste of good wool.
Then I spent sometime rummaging around on Ravelry and found the Durango Hat pattern. It was free, masses of people had managed to make it work and it looked quite sweet so I thought I would have a crack at that instead.
I didn’t actually manage to stick to the pattern as published. I had to add a considerable number of rounds after row 7 to get a hat rather than a yarmulke. I was using the prescribed yarn weight and hook size but there was no way an 11 round version of this was going to cover my head. God only knows what it is I did to make this necessary.
The other modification I had to make was to use a double stand of wool for the brim. One strand worked but the whole effect was a bit too holey-looking for my tastes.
The upshot of all this is that I have a hat, it fits and it (sort of) matches my scarf. I am not totally enamoured of it but I am chalking it up as a win nonetheless. Now the question remains, will I actually bring myself to wear it in public…
<Walks off grumbling to herself and kicking things.>